Friday, October 4, 2013

No. 3 "A mattress made of seaweed" 20 Feb 2011


Sometime before the mass exodus from Shackleford Banks that followed the great storm of 1899, a 
property tax collector visited there in an effort to collect money for the county. None of the "Bankers" had 
any money with which to pay, so the tax collector began to seize their personal property in payment. 

At Tom Styron's house they took his mattress. Since all mattresses were then filled and stuffed mainly with
the seaweed that was readily available all along the shore, Tom hollered at him as he left, 
"Don't make no difference. I'll get me another one as soon as the tide goes out!"

2 comments:

  1. I would love to stop by. But, I think it might have to wait until this summer. I did not know that Serlkay had ever expanded its size. I must say that a succesful family owned business in this day and age is a very refreshing sight! As well as this is a very refreshing site!
    plant based memory foam mattress

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is an excellent post I seen thanks to share it. It is really what I wanted to see hope in future you will continue for sharing such a excellent post.
    memory foam chemicals

    ReplyDelete